We love seeing kids instore get excited by the freedom and joy of riding. Whether it is their first bike or moving to the next stage. It is also always rewarding to see the joy parents get from seeing their children smile trying out bike options.
But one of the areas that can be difficult to judge is the right size bike for your child. Is it the size for them now or will they grow into it?
Having a bike that is too big can be uncomfortable and potentially dangerous. The bike size that is right for your child depends on their age and height. This is true whether they are ready for their first bike or a next size up.
It is their age and height that best determines bike size. These will guide you to selecting the right wheel size:
- 2 and 3 years: Height: 0.91 - 1m. Inside leg: 38.1 - 45.7cm. Wheel size: 27.9 cm (12”)
- 4, 5 and 6 years: Height: 104.1 cm - 116.8cm. Inside leg: 40.6 - 55.8cm. Wheel size: 16”.
- 5, 6, 7 and 8 years: Height: 114.3 cm - 137.2cm. Inside leg: 48.2 - 63.5cm. Wheel size: 20”
- 8, 9, 10 and 11 years: Height: 124.5 cm - 149.8cm. Inside leg: 58.4 - 71.1cm. Wheel: 24”.
- 10, 11 and 12 years: Height: 142.2cm. Inside leg: 63.5cm. Wheel size: 26”
Using this guide to know what wheel size to focus on, measuring the inside leg will help ensure the bike is comfortable when standing over. Ensuring the bike isn't too high (standover height) will allow your child to hop on and off easily.
Different bikes each have different geometry, even for bikes with the same wheel size. After all the measurements, it is useful (and fun) to test ride a bike for your child before buying. So come in to see us at MC and let's have some fun test rides in store to ensure you have the right bike selected for your loved one.